Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Welcome to Kindergarten!

Welcome to my little corner of the kindergarten blog world! I will admit, I LOVE the idea of blogging. I have four blogs. Do I update them often? No. Bad, bad, bad blogger. However, I do at times get the itch to blog and then I share with the world.

I was inspired to create a kindergarten blog today at a training.I am hoping to be able to share some great ideas, and strike up some conversation about K.

About me, I have been teaching for eight years. Through my pre-teaching work and teaching - I have worked with kids from birth through college. In the elementary world, I have taught in all grade levels, besides third! After moving to Virginia six years ago, I have taught half-day kindergarten, and then four years of fifth grade. I was getting REALLY good at fifth grade! However, I was itching for a new adventure, so I moved to a brand new school and into full day kindergarten! I did get to move with my partner in crime, and teaching friend - so that transition was easy!

All day kindergarten is its own beast! Our day is packed full of learning and fun... this is what we are doing this year:

8:50-9:15 Morning Routines, announcements and Plus-5 Fitness
9:15-9:30 Morning Meeting (a la "Responsive Classroom")
9:30-11:00 Centers/Daily 5 (what ever you want to call it, its modified!) and Reading Groups
     -I used to TRY to fit in each reading group, each day. I had five. It was crazy. I now pull 3 each day. In DRA Land, I have a group of 4's that I see each day, then groups of 6's, 8's, and two groups of 12's. I see the 6's and a group of 12's two days, and then switch. On Fridays we are all off so we can do spelling tests. I feel my kids are doing great, our end of year target is a 4, our on grade level range is 4-8!

11:00-12:00 Writing, and sometimes we throw in some recess.
12:00-1:30 Lunch / Specials
1:30-2:45 Science/Social Studies/Math
2:45-3:20 Recess / Snack
3:30 HOME!

Its a long day! Poor kinders! But, my class is rocking it out this year!

I hope as I get more comfortable teaching K, I will have more cool things to post about! I had a TON of fifth grade stuff! Haha!

<3 Alison

2 comments:

  1. You have groups that high in Kinder or is that Kinder in La La Land??!!???

    Responsive Classroom is a lot like Conscious Discipline. I love Conscious Discipline and building our school family. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. I have TONS and TONS of *freebies*. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do have groups that high... however, that was in April. I also had a little girl who at that time was around a 30. As are in an area where most kids have pr-k so they come in with letters/sounds and some sight words. I had about 6 kids at a pre-a in Sept. (And one of the TOOK OFF in March... it was great!) What's crazy is at my school, my kids we're more "middle of the road"...

      Delete